The 2011 Year in Software
I found this Developer World article interesting. Neil Mcallister recounts the year's events in "Near Misses and Lost Opportunities: Application Development in 2011.
- Java soldiered on, despite rumors that
- the Apache Foundation might quit the JCP
- Oracle postulated to be gunning to dismantle the JCP
- (neither of which happened).
- Oracle vs Google and the Apache Software Foundation regarding potential Oracle intellectual property rights to Android.
- Googles 'GO' operating system (to debut in 2012)
- HP's struggle with the WebOS purchased with the Palm acquisition.
While the article doesn't expound greatly on the issues, it brings them to light as worthy of further research.